Community Input, White Papers, Process, and AOS 2013 Themes
The foundation of the AOS 2013 was community input. To capture and integrate input from a broad range of participants, the AOS included the preparation of community-based white papers (see below) and short statements in advance of the Summit. These white papers were intended to capture consensus on Arctic observing needs, arcticulate critical issues facing the design, implementation, and evoloution of an international observing system, and define future directions for it's development, including support, infrastructure, and longevity. The white papers also provided a mechansims through which stakeholders, beyond the 2013 Summit participants could shape the Summit and its outcomes, and guide future Summits. In combination with a Summit questionaire and shorter statements on relevant topics, the white papers focused the work during the Summit, and provided the foundation to develop recommendations, identify gaps and opportunities for the development of the Arctic Observign System of systems (see recommendations and synthesis papers). The Arctic Community, including research groups, funding agencies, Arctic residents, non-governmental organizations, and interested private sector groups were invited to submit papers on the AOS 2013 themes, as well as topics relevant to Arcitc Observing Systems that might not have been captured under the larger thematic areas.
The themes for AOS 2013 were:
- Status of the current observing system (goals, objectives, capabilities, challenges and sustainability)
- Observing system design and coordination (including integration of components and implementation)
- Stakeholder perspectives on observing system design and integration
- Mechanisms for coordination of support, implementation and operation of a sustained arctic observing system
The authors of the white papers and shorter reports were encouraged to articulate and explore underlying questions such as:
- What can be done to improve the design, implementation, coordination and sustained long-term operation of Arctic observing systems in the focus area of a given white paper?
- Are Arctic observations shared optimally today among communities (e.g., among scientists, governments, and stakeholders)?
- Are there speciﬁc hindrances to the collection or sharing of Arctic observations in the focus area of a given paper (e.g., restrictions due to military strategic reasons, protection of natural resources)?
The community white papers from AOS 2013 can be downloaded below (alphabetical order, first author). Papers that have subsequently been published in the 2015 special issue of Arctic (68, Supplement 1) , an open access issue, are indicated and can be accessed from the links below and from the journal website also.
- Alessa, L., Kliskey, A., Myers, M., Veazey, P., Gray, S., Puniwai, N., Shanahan, E., Jencso, K., Galindo, E., Gosz, J., Anderson, J. and Smith , A. Community Based Observing Networks (CBONs) for Arctic Adaptation and Security.
- Atakan, K.A., Bjerrum, L.W., Bungum, H., Dehls, J., Kaynia, A.M., Keers, H., Kierulf, H.P., Kværna, T., Maupin, V., Langeland, T., Lindholm, C., Ottemöller, L., Sørensen, M., and Yuen, M.Y. European Plate Observing Sysytem and the Arctic. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Barber, D.A., Polykov, I., Fortier, L., Zhao, J., Rysgaard, S., and Gascard, J-C. The International Arctic Ocean Drift Study – Arctic ODS.
- Berkman, P.A. Institutional Dimensions of Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks (SAON). To be published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- CARMA Network (CircumArctic Rangifer Monitoring and Assessment Network), CARMA's Knowledge to Action Plan. (The white paper was expanded into a larger article, now published in Arctic 68 (Supp. 1): Russel, D. E., Gunn, A., and White, R. G. CircumArctic collaboration to monitor Caribou and Reindeer.)
- Carter, P.D. An ‘Apollo-Manhattan’ Arctic Surveillance Mission.
- Eicken, H., Lee, O., Kling, G, Lee, C., Wiggins, H., and the SEARCH Science Steering Committee (www.arcus.org/search). Dual-purpose Arctic observing networks: Lessons from SEARCH on frameworks for prioritization and coordination.
Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1) as Lee, O., Eicken, H., Kling, G. and Lee, C. A Framework for Prioritization, Design and Coordination of Arctic Long-term Observing Networks: A Perspective from the U.S. SEARCH Program.
- Ellis-Evans, C., Holmén, K., Huber, R., Vitale, V., and Børre Ørbæk, J., The Svalbard Integrated Earth Observing System (SIOS): A Regional Initiative to Build Observing Capacity for an Arctic Observing System.
- Eyre, J., Andersson, E., Charpentier, E., Dibbern, J., Lafeuille, J., Ondras, M., and Riishojhaard, L.P., WMO CBS Activities Relevant to Observations in the Arctic.
- Fairall, C., Cummings, J., Jung, T., Gordon, N., Bauer, P., Bromwich, D., Smith, G., Doblas-Reyes, F., Hines, K., Holland, M., Iversen, T., Klebe, S., Lemke, P., Mills, B., Nurmi, P., Renfrew, I., Svensson, G., and Tolstykh, M., Observational Aspects of the WWRP Polar Prediction Project. (revised)
- Fischer, A., An Arctic Ocean Observing System as a part of a Global Framework for Ocean Observing.
- Forest, A., Lalande, C., Hwang, J., Sampei, M., and Berge, J., Bio-mooring Arrays and Long-term Sediment Traps: Key Tools to Detect Change in the Biogeochemical and Ecological Functioning of Arctic Marine Ecosystems. (revised)
- Goedkoop, W., Culp, J.M., Lento, J., Christoffersen, K.S., Frenzel, S.,Gu›bergsson, G., Liljaniemi, P., Sandøy, S., and Svoboda, M., Biodiversity of Arctic Freshwaters: Developing the CAFF – CBMP Integrated Monitoring Plan.
- Henry, G., Hollister, R., Jónsdóttir, I.S., Klanderlud, K., Molau, U., Oberbauer, S., Webber, P., and Wookey. P., The International Tundra Experiment: An Arctic Monitoring Network. (revised)
- Hoffman, F. M., Kumar, J., Wullschleger, S. D., Hinzman, L. D., and Schuur, E. A. G. A Model-Inspired Sampling Network Design and Representativeness Methodology for the Arctic
- Jakobsson, M., Eicken, H., and Lee, C. Introduction: The Arctic Observing Summit 2013. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Jakobsson, M., Mayer, L., and Monahan, D., Arctic Ocean Bathymetry: A Required Geospatial Framework. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Johnson, N., Alessa, L., Behe, C., Danielsen, F., Gearheard, S., Gofman-Wallingford, V., Kliskey, A., Krümmel, E. M., Lynch, A., Mustonen, T., Pulsifer, P., and Svoboda, M. The Contributions of Community-Based Monitoring and Traditional Knowledge to Arctic Observing Networks: Reflections on the State of the Field. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Juniper, S. K., McLean, S., Pirenne, B., and Moran, K., Community-based Mini-observatories for Arctic Ocean Science and Outreach.
- Kaminski, T., and Kauker, F., A Prototype of a Modelling System Assisting the Design of the Arctic Observing Network.
- Keskitalo, C., Müller, D., Bergh, K., Kinell, G., Söderqvist, T., and Sörlin. S., Stakeholder Integration: A Response to a Suggested Focus on Arctic Residents and Monitoring.
- Key, J., Goodison, B., Schöner, W., Ondras, M., and Godøy, O. A Global Cryosphere Watch. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Kim, B-K., Kim, J-H., Hwang, P., Ha, H.K., Yang, E-J., Kang, S-H., Park, S-J., Kim, S-J., Lee, S-H., Kim,T-W., Kim,S-W., Shin, H-C-., and Lee, H-J. Comprehensive Observational Study in the Seasonal Ice Zone: Role of Air-sea Interaction for Arctic Amplification.
- Kim. Y., Latitudinal Distributions of Soil CO2 Efflux and Temperature along the Dalton Highway, Alaska
- Knopp, J., Pokiak, F., Gillman, V., Porta, L., and Amos, V., Inuvialuit Settlement Region Community-Based Monitoring Program (ISR-CBMP): Community-Driven Monitoring of Locally Important Natural Resources.
- Kutz, S., Checkley, S., Simard, M., Soos, C., Black, S. and Duignan, P. The Need for a Sustainable Arctic Wildlife Health Observation Network.
- Larsen, J. R. Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks (SAON):
- Manley, W. F., Gaylord, A. G., Kassin, A., Cody, R., Copenhaver, W. A., Dover, M., Escarzaga, S. M., Font, R., Garcia, A. E., Haberman, T., Lin, D. H., Score, R., Villarreal, S., and Tweedie, C. E.. The U.S. Arctic Observing Viewer: A Web-Mapping Application for Enhancing Environmental Observation of the Changing Arctic. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Masutani, M., Garand, L., Lahoz, W., Andersson, E., Rochon, Y., Riishøjgaard, L. P., Tsyrulnikov, M., McConnell, J., Cucurull, L., Xie, Y., Ishii, S., Grumbine, R., Brunet, G., Woollen, J. S., and Sato, Y. Observing System Simulation Experiments: Justifying new Arctic Observation Capabilities
- McCammon, M. Developing and Arctic Observing System for Alaska: A Conceptual Design
- McClelland, J. W., Tank, S. E., Spencer, R. G. M., and Shiklomanov, A. I. Coordination and sustainability of river observing activities in the Arctic. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- McLennan, D. A. Potential Role for CHARS in Leading Development of the Canadian Arctic Monitoring and Prediction Network (CAMPNet)
- Mikhalevsky, P. M., Sagen, H., Worcester, P. F., Baggeroer, A. B., Orcutt, J., Moore, S. E., Lee, C. M., Vigness-Raposa, K. J., Freitag, L., Arrott, M., Atakan, K., Beszczynska-Möller, A., Duda, T. F., Dushaw, B. D., Gascard, J.-C., Gavrilov, A. N., Keers, H., Morozov, A. K., Munk, W. H., Rixen, M., Sandven, S., Skarsoulis, E., Stafford, K. M., Vernon, F., and Yuen, M. Y. Multipurpose Acoustic Networks in the Integrated Arctic Ocean Observing System. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Milner, A., Jacobsen, D., and Hannah, D. GLACier-fed rivers, HYDRoECOlogy and climate change; NETwork of monitoring sites (GLAC-HYDRECO-NET)
- Moore, J. A., McCammon, M., and Bochenek, R. Data Management Perspective for an International Arctic Observing Network: Preserving the Legacy—Promoting Exchange
- Orcutt, J. A. Vernon, F. L., Arrott, M. A Cabled Arctic Observatory: A practical, long-term approach to open data in the Arctic
- Persson, O., Shupe, M., Dethloff, K., Tjernström, M. Understanding Coupled Climate and Weather Processes over the Arctic Ocean: The Needs and Plans for Multi-Disciplinary Coordinated Observations on a Drifting Observatory
- Proshutinsky, A., Krishfield, R., Toole, J., Timmermans, M.-L., Williams, W., Carmack, E., McLaughlin, F., Shimada, K. Status of the Beaufort Gyre Observing System (BGOS, 2003-2013): goals, objectives, capabilities, challenges and sustainability
- Pulsifer, P. L., Yarmey, L., Godøy, Ø., Friddell, J., Vincent, W. F., DeBruin, T., Parsons, M. A. Data Management for Arctic Observing
- Russell, D. E., Gunn, A., and White, R. G. CircumArctic Collaboration to Monitor Caribou and Wild Reindeer. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).
- Sambrotto, R., Richter-Menge, J., Boyd, T. Ocean and Ice Observations from Submarines in the Arctic
- Sandven, D., Pedersen, L. T., Kern, S., Heygster, G., Rinne, E., Mäkynen, M., Giles, K., Wadhams, P., Kaleschke, L., Lavergne, T., Tonboe, R. , Saldo, R., Skourup, H., Ivanova, N., Notz , D., and Ardhuin, F. Sea ice observing systems for Arctic science climate monitoring
- Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks (SAON) - see above: Larsen, J. R.
- Scambos, T., Behar, A., Ross, R., and Stroeve, J. New Pathfinder Technology for Ice – Ocean System Monitoring
- Starkweather, S., Walden, V., Uttal, T., Drummond, J., Key, J., Kay, J., Vihma, T., Skov, H., Burkhart, J. Advancing Arctic Atmospheric Science through Developing Collaborative Targets for International Observatories
- Stow, J., Shearer, R., Hung, H., Steffen, S., Harner, T., Braune, B., Curren, M. Transboundary pollution in a changing Arctic
- Tannerfeldt, M., Biebow, N., Lochte, K., and Dahlbäck, B. Arctic Research Icebreaker Cooperation towards ARICE and beyond: A strategy for meeting the needs for marine research in the Arctic
- Toole, J., Krishfield, R., Proshutinsky, A., Laney, S., and Timmermans, M.-L. Observing the Evolving Central Arctic Ocean with Ice-Tethered Profilers (2004-2013): goals, objectives, capabilities, challenges and sustainability
- Wensing, E. J. Observing Adaptation Strategies of Arctic Communities to Climate Change: A View from Applied Psychology
- Young, K., Chatwood, S., and Bjerregaard, P. Observing the Changing Health of Circumpolar Peoples. Now published in Arctic, 68 (Supp. 1).